Get this all-star recipe for homemade pizza sauce and start a pizza night tradition in your own home!
If there’s one food that characterizes or defines my family, it would have to be pizza. Almost every Friday night since my parents started dating has been designated as pizza night. And now that I have my own family I’m continuing their delicious tradition! While the toppings and dough and cheese has changed over the years, one thing remains the same: our homemade pizza sauce.
If I had my own restaurant I probably wouldn’t be sharing this recipe for homemade pizza sauce. But since this blog is meant to be a glimpse inside my home kitchen I can’t NOT share it. Plus, pizza night is such a fun food tradition that makes my entire family happy. And I want that for you and yours too! From classic pepperoni and cheese, to roasted vegetables, or fig and arugula, I can tell you this homemade pizza sauce goes with ANY topping. And cheese. Don’t forget the cheese!
The longer you let the sauce sit and simmer, or store it in the fridge, the thicker it gets [hence this picture]. My recipe makes about 2 cups; half gets used for the pizza I’m making that night and the other half is used for other meals like pizza grilled cheese, pizza English muffins, or pizza stuffed mushrooms. Ummm, I told you we are pizza OBSESSED!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 [28 ounce] can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ tablespoon dried basil or ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the remainder of ingredients. Stir frequently, and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely at room temperature for 20-25 minutes (saucepan covered). Use immediately after cooling OR store in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator.
Want an inside look at our homemade pizza night shenanagins? Here you go! Warning: You may just get a craving for a slice of Serbinski pie!