We all know my family’s love for pizza runs deep. And while we could eat pizza everyday, I haven’t quite figured out how to justify “eating pizza everyday” as part of a healthy diet. So to give us our pizza fix more than just Friday night’s, I’ve combined our go-to weekday lunch [grilled cheese] with our favorite pizza toppings to bring you PIZZA grilled cheese! See how my mind works?!
There’s a lot to love about making pizza grilled cheese for lunch [or dinner]. It’s something I know my somewhat picky eating toddler will eat, it’s ready in less than 5 minutes, I add vegetables and extra protein [beyond the cheese] as a filling, AND I use whole grain bread to make this a nutrient-rich recipe for the fam. Oh and I only need one pan to make the sandwich. What more could you ask for?!
Did you know April has been crowned Grilled Cheese Month? Every month could be grilled cheese month in our house— but to celebrate this momentous occasion I’ve team up with Milk Means More to bring you a special cheesy giveaway. Head on over to my Facebook page to learn more!
- 2 slices of bread
- Unsalted butter
- 2-4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 4-6 slices of pepperoni
- ½ cup of marinara sauce
- Optional fillings: green peppers, spinach, onions, mushrooms [any favorite pizza topping]
- Lightly butter one side of each slide of bread. Flip over butter side and cover each non-buttered side with one or two slices of cheese. Add pepperoni and put the sandwich together.
- Add to hot pan and cook on medium heat until bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Slice in half and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Do I even need to tell you where my boys have learned their “dipping” habits from?! Dear old Dad!! While pizza grilled cheese hasn’t replaced our Friday night pizza tradition, it’s given me another option for a fun, healthy, and easy weekday lunch!