Sheet Pan BBQ Chicken and Potatoes is a weeknight dinner sure to become a family favorite. Ready in 30 minutes and the easiest post mealtime clean-up!
Yes, I’m cooking something other than beef these days. But don’t get used to it. Beef is still my main protein of choice when it comes to feeding my family. And let me let you in on a little secret: I didn’t eat ANY of this sheet pan BBQ chicken and potatoes. Mom was the picky one this time around. And not for reasons you might think.
In fact, something strange happens to my appetite when I cook with raw chicken. I don’t feel like eating it! But since I’m not only satisfying my own taste buds most days, I still serve chicken to the Four Tops when my mood strikes. What you’ll also notice from my pictures is that I served this sheet pan BBQ chicken and potatoes with macaroni and cheese. So guess what Mom ate? The MAC. And a few potatoes.
You can’t argue with the sides that typically accompanies a BBQ chicken dinner. And I can’t argue with the fact that my family will agree on a sugary, sweet sauce for chicken. Hey, if they’re eating it without complaints, I’m serving it with a condiment. And tonight it just so happened to be BBQ sauce!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken breast [you could easily swap chicken thighs or drumsticks]. I had two really BIG chicken breasts, so I cut them into 2-3 inch pieces. That helped make the chicken and potatoes cook at a similar rate. And it was just enough for 4 kids. You might want to increase the recipe or amount of chicken you cook depending on the number of adults you’re feeding.
- BBQ seasoning or spice rub- we like McCormick Grill Mates
- Your family’s favorite BBQ sauce [we love Sweet Baby Ray’s!]
- Fingerling potatoes or any potato cubed into similar bite-sized pieces.
- Onions and any other hearty-veggie to go alongside for roasting!
More Sheet Pan Recipes to Try
Even though I didn’t try this meal, I can tell you that EVERY SINGLE ONE of my children [remember I have 4] ate the chicken. Two ate the potatoes. And no one ate the onions. Any guesses on who ate the potatoes?! DON’T FORGET THE MACARONI!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 2-3 inch size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons BBQ seasoning
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 pound baby potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes, sliced in half or quarters if larger [also 2 inch size pieces]
- Preheat oven to 425. Arrange chicken and potatoes on non-stick baking sheet.
- Toss with olive oil. Then season chicken with BBQ seasoning. Brush chicken with BBQ sauce.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Optional: add your favorite favorites alongside the potatoes. Baby carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower work well.