Pizza zoodles are a pizza-inspired meal much lighter than the traditional flour crust. Filled with lots of veggies and a few store-bought shortcuts, this is one dinner the whole family will love.
If your kids are anything like mine, then pizza could be on the menu 6 out of 7 nights of the week and all tummies would go to bed satisfied. And since Ted and I both have pizza as some part of our love language, we wouldn’t complain either! But alas, the traditional homemade pizza night in this house has been designated for Friday night. So when that pizza craving hits, I’m usually looking for a lighter way for Ted and me to enjoy, like these pizza zoodles!
Yes, the kids still have the “bread” version of pizza. I’m pretty sure I would’ve gotten 3 cross-eyed looks if gave them pizza zoodles. And yes, Ted and I had a few bites of their pizza flatbreads once they left the table. But these pizza zoodles really hit the spot AND had all the flavor of our favorite pizza dinner. And my main mission was accomplished: I didn’t walk away feeling too stuffed or like I immediately needed to go to bed!
You can, of course, make pizza zoodles with your favorite pizza toppings. I kept ours meaty [go figure] with pepperoni and mushrooms. Next time I think I’ll add some green bell pepper and black olives too! Pizza zoodles are my first zoodles recipe here on the blog, and I’m hoping to share more zoodles recipes as I’ve found more spiralized noodle options at Kroger [specific brand is Veggie Noodle Co.]. Zoodles are my current go-to, but stay tuned as I plan on getting more creative with the beet and sweet potato zoodles too!
Calling all pizza fans! Here are a few more unique ways to enjoy the ZA in pizza!
- Baked Pizza Chicken
- Roasted Veggie English Muffin Pizzas
- Skillet Pizza Pasta
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Pizza Kabobs
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by the Kroger Company of Michigan. As a loyal Kroger customer for over 30 years, I am so thankful to be able to partner with brands my family has used for generations!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup pepperoni slices, cut in half
- 3-4 cups zucchini noodles
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, grated, to garnish
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions, Sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add pepperoni and sauté until slightly golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add sauce. Add zucchini and cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese or grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.