A rotisserie chicken, BBQ sauce, and a few vegetable staples make these Tex-Mex Chicken Lettuce Wraps one simple and fast low-carb meal.
I shared this recipe for Tex-Mex chicken lettuce wraps on Instagram earlier this week and after taking one too many pictures with my iPhone camera that I decided it was a fitting recipe for the blog! Really though, my phone’s camera has been how I’ve been taking my pictures lately [smack my food-blogger hand] because a. I’m running with ZERO blogging schedule [smack the hand twice] and b. I’m winging it when it comes to dinner since the school’s been out for summer.
I shouldn’t be complaining about my newfound dinnertime conundrum, as my grocery list stays standard most weeks, and my kids aren’t in any nighttime activities [how do your parents do it?!]. AND I always know I’ll have 5 mouths to feed when it comes to mealtime. But there’s something to be said about days with a packed schedule, days with no schedule, and days where I don’t even know what day of the week it is that has me a little frazzled with dinner. TELL ME I AM NOT ALONE! Ok, so that’s where these Tex-Mex chicken lettuce wraps made me feel a little sane on Monday night. I had the ingredients. I had a hungry crew to feed. And I felt like making dinner. That sounds like a recipe for success, am I right?!
As I stated in my Instagram post, I’m declaring this the summer of boxed macaroni and cheese, carry-out or delivery pizza, and whipping up recipes on a whim. And lucky for you, I not only remembered how I made this recipe to share, but I also had extra pictures of the recipe on my iPhone.
Oh, can we also declare this the summer where we just have some fun and cut ourselves some slack?!
Who’s with me???!!!!!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled off the bone and shredded
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Bibb lettuce leaves washed and dried
- Optional for serving: guacamole, shredded cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, salsa
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken, BBQ sauce, and cumin. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, bell pepper, and onion. Sauté until veggies are soft.
- Remove from heat and add to chicken mixture. Stir in corn.
- Scoop a few tablespoons of chicken mixture into each lettuce cup. Serve with favorite Tex-Mex toppings, like guacamole, cheese, or salsa.