Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is an easy to make one-pot meal filled with simple and flavorful ingredients!
My family recently returned from a weeklong trip to Colorado- what a whirlwind! I learned many things while out west… the most important being that traveling with a baby is a lot of FUN [if you allow his or her schedule be flexible]. I also learned that Colorado has a lot of delicious Mexican restaurants.
From Boulder, to Denver, to Durango, we enjoyed tacos, nachos, quesadillas, and margaritas! One thing I didn’t check off my must-eat Mexican food list was chicken tortilla soup… and I’m craving it- along with the mild mountain weather…
Besides reminding me of our travels out west, this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is just what the doctor [or any mom orders] when you are looking for a simple and easy weeknight “dump and eat” meal. With many of us in the “thick” of busy days with small children or long work hours, you can’t beat another slow cooker meal to come home to after a long day.
What I love about this recipe is that you can use fresh or frozen veggies and your family’s favorite salsa! If you’re feeling extra crafty in the kitchen, you can certainly chop your own tomatoes + seasonings to replace the canned or jarred salsa, I figure I’ll do that step once the kids are out of the house.
In 20+ years! And don’t worry if you think this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup makes too much. It freezes really well too! So tell me: is this soup one of your favorites too?!
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- ½ cup of black beans
- 1 cup of green, red, and yellow peppers (or 1 cup total of whatever you have on hand)
- 1-4oz. can of diced green chiles
- 1-12 oz. jar of salsa + 1 jar of water
- 1-16oz. carton of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ cup of brown rice, cooked
- Avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips for garnish
- Take all of the ingredients (up to the brown rice) and add to a slow cooker or crock-pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred with a fork. Add back to the soup.
- Before serving, take a few tablespoons of rice and add to your soup bowl. Top with a serving (about one cup) of soup.
- Top with avocado, sour cream, and of course, (crushed) tortilla chips!