As the daughter of a veterinarian, I grew up with dogs. My parents have always had two family dogs since they were married, which has been more than 35 years. I consider myself a dog-lover, and thought Ted and I would have added a four-legged friend to our family BEFORE having a baby. But hey, life didn’t work out that way! We still do not have a dog, but we have a sweet baby boy and another one on the way this winter. A dog is in the “plan” (ha!) down the road…
When Joey started moving (crawling, rolling, etc.) I began to notice some of his behaviors/activities were dog-like. Or maybe dogs have baby-like behaviors? Regardless, as different as babies and dogs are, there are some funny similarities that have us laughing.
1. They take over the bed. If you let your dog OR baby in your bed, chances are you’ll lose your spot or get pushed to the edge, no matter their size.
2. They eat food off the floor. Don’t ask me why, but Joey will throw food off his tray on the floor and then eat it off the floor while I’m cleaning up. Perhaps he learned this one from Nana and Grandpa’s dogs?!
3. They cry, whine, moan, or yell when they want something. Need I explain more?
4. They are ALWAYS happy to see their owners (or parents). Getting Joey from his crib in the morning is an instant high. His smile is contagious! If he had a tail I know it would be wagging.
5. Bath time means a monsoon is about to hit your bathroom. Dogs shake off excess water. Babies roll it off. All. Over. The. Tile. Floor.
If you have the luxury of having both babies and dogs in your house, am I right? Or am I right?