Bring out the delicious flavors of fall with this simple side dish of oven-roasted apples, pears, and onions.
I’m all about roasting in-season vegetables in the fall. Roasting is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to eat vegetables IMO. When I was “pinning” some new recipes the other night, I came across this roasted butternut squash and apple recipe. I was so intrigued by the roasted apple that I decided to make my own rendition, using JUST fruit [well, sort of]. Roasting wins again— and proved this cooking method isn’t just for vegetables!
This recipe was toddler and husband approved! Joey had his with some gnocchi and cheese and Ted had his with a couple of pork chops! This fruit flavor combination would go well as a side dish [I’d stick with pork or chicken, based on the sweetness of the fruit], as a base for soup, or as a snack for the little one’s throughout the day.
Oven-Roasted Apples and Pears with Onions
- 2 small apples, cubed
- 1 pear, cubed
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
Note: If you have 2 pears and 1 apple in your fridge, feel free to use that combination! I just grabbed what apples (Granny Smith and Gala) I had on hand.
- Preheat your oven to 425. Place the cubed apple, pear, and onion on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Mix the butter and brown sugar. Pour oven the fruit and stir to evenly coat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring the mixture halfway through roasting. This sweet mixture is ready to eat when the fruit has become a golden brown color.