Kale Caprese Salad is a fresh take on the Italian classic, filled with kale, basil, tomatoes, mozzarella and a light vinaigrette.
Why You’ll Love This Kale Caprese Salad
Since I can’t leave the produce aisle or farmers market without a bunch of kale, I decided it was time to share my family’s go-to kale dish: kale Caprese salad. Yes, even my somewhat picky eating toddlers join in the tastiness of this dish! Kids eat kale too… no matter what you might believe [or see at your own dinner table]. Here’s why this recipe works for my toddlers…
Have you ever watched a toddler eat salad? It’s humorous, especially if they are eating it in someone else’s kitchen other than your own. Unless your toddler has great quality control with a fork, the components of the salad are likely to hit the floor. But something magical happened when I gave Joey this kale Caprese salad. He ditched the fork and picked the mozzarella and tomatoes [and a little kale] out with his fingers.
Lesson learned? Serve toddlers salads with big mix-ins! The finger-appropriate foods, the more likely your toddler will try them! Or so that’s what works with my little ones. Here’s to hoping this works in your family too! If all fails, this recipe is simple and quick to make. That’s always a plus!
What’s In This Kale Salad
- Kale (1 bunch = about 4 cups) – steamed and chopped
- Bocconcini [mini mozzarella] (1 cup) – halved
- Cherry Tomatoes (1 cup) – halved
- Basil (1/4 cup) – fresh, chopped
In the Dressing
- Olive Oil (2/3 cup) – I use extra-virgin olive oil
- Red Wine Vinegar (3 tablespoons)
- Dijon Mustard (1 tablespoon)
- Garlic (1 clove) – crushed
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
More Salads To Enjoy
- Kale Salad with Apples and Cheddar Cheese
- Rotisserie Chicken Caesar Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Quinoa Salad
- Thai Beef Salad
- Doctored Up Salad Kits
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped [about 4 cups]
- 1 cup bocconcini [mini mozzarella], halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Dressing [makes about 1 cup]:
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Add kale to a large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients and whisk until combined. Pour over kale and toss until evenly coated.
- Add cheese and tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Before serving, add basil and toss to combine.