Italian Beef Skillet is a 20-minute dinner made with lean Ground Beef and lots of fresh peppers, making it a hearty and healthy weeknight meal.
Guess what? I’m the only one in my family that enjoyed this Italian beef skillet. Yep, I didn’t even bother serving it to the boys, and Ted, well he picked out a lot of the peppers. I don’t usually give my dynamic toddler duo or my semi-particular eating husband a pass on what I’m cooking for dinner. But the night I made this Italian beef skillet dinner, the boys were adamant we go for a walk downtown, which inevitably means a stop at their favorite pizza and ice cream place. I don’t always oblige to their little cravings, but they recently started a “Mom’s Day Out” program at a local church and I decided we should celebrate their first day with their favorites, ice cream and pizza. I wasn’t in the mood for their indulgence so I turned to an Italian beef skillet dinner that was filled with lots of my favorites!
Ted also got a pass on dinner… and I knew this would be the case as soon as I started chopping the peppers for the dish. Ted and I have been married for almost 5 years now and I’m well aware of his preference for limiting the amount of peppers in a recipe. I also know he’d be more excited about a pizza run vs. a ground beef skillet meal, so I went a little crazy with the peppers. He didn’t comment when he saw what I was planning on eating for dinner. He just ordered his own pizza when he placed the order for the boys. We work well like that…
I’m chalking up this Italian beef skillet dinner to doing something for ME. And smirking at the fact that it’s a beautiful, colorful dish filled with lots of nutrition. Lord knows I’m doing enough for the little people in my life every day. If that means I’m the only one eating this meal filled with chunky cut peppers, well then so be it. I’m worth it. And if you’re like me and don’t mind red, green, and yellow peppers, then THIS meal is for you! I wish we could share it together.
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup banana peppers, drained and chopped
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes + juice in can
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat olive oil in a large case iron skillet or large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add peppers and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and ground beef and cook until browned. Once beef is cooked through, add tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and serve immediately with whole wheat rolls or flatbread.
If you could make a meal for YOU without pleasing the rest of your dinner table, what would you make?! Dinner is ready in less than 20 minutes with this Italian Beef Skillet meal! Click To Tweet