Chicken and rice soup is comfort food in a bowl made with few ingredients and packed full of flavor!
You know when you are sick and you just want your mom? Well that was me a few days ago. This weekend I came down with the stomach flu and once I finally turned the corner and wanted a little something in my stomach, chicken and rice soup was the only thing that sounded good. In fact, whenever I was sick as a child my Mom would always make me a bowl of Campbell’s Chicken and Rice canned soup. Don’t get me wrong, the canned stuff IS delicious. But when Ted was out grocery shopping for me while I was homebound, he came home with a few simple ingredients [courtesy of my helpful texting] so I could recreate the canned version myself!
Seriously guys, this recipe for homemade chicken and rice soup is SO easy. Made even easier by the rotisserie chicken Ted came home with from Kroger. For a reasonable price, I can easily get two meals out of one chicken for all 4 of us— granted my toddlers only have a few bites. Soup is typically an economical meal. But this one is even more easy on your wallet with just 6 ingredients [if you count butter] you probably always have on hand! While a rotisserie chicken is somewhat of a weekly grocery splurge [$7-$10 typically], I’m saving money on grocery shopping in other ways with this soup. Plus, Momma needed all the help she could get from the store so she could get back to healthy FAST.
How did the boys like this? Like most of my soup recipes, they pick out their favorites- which in this case just so happened to be everything in the soup minus the broth. Oh but if I give them a piece of cheese toast or garlic bread they do dip it in the broth. The method to their madness… I often question it. But NEVER out loud! Remember those books Chicken Soup for the Soul?! Yep, this soup is good for your soul, immune system, and toast dunking toddlers. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled then sliced thin
- 1 cup brown rice
- 6 cups Simple Truth Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
- Salt and pepper
- Heat butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, season with salt and pepper if desired. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to high and add chicken broth, bringing to a boil. Once broth is boiling, add rice then stir to combine.
- Turn heat to medium and add rice and chicken. Simmer uncovered until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
Looking for more ways to save money at the grocery store? Check out these 10 tips for healthy eating on a budget. Love chicken soup? You’ve got to try chicken lemon rice soup OR roasted garlic chicken noodle soup. They are my other favorites when I’m under the weather [or need my Momma!].