Caprese Chicken Lettuce Wraps have all the components of the classic Caprese salad with extra protein from lean chicken breast and crunch from romaine lettuce leaves. A simple and fresh meal for lunch or dinner.
When you read the title to this post, Caprese chicken lettuce wraps, do you immediately think toddler food? NOPE. That’s a big negative. But what’s a Mom to do when she’s craving something light, fresh, and Caprese-esc?! Well, Momma gets what she wants. And then the toddlers and preschoolers get something similar with a few things they like to.
Sometimes a Caprese salad [solo] isn’t the most filling meal, so when a little protein like rotisserie chicken is in the mix, the extra protein is a satiating addition. I had a feeling the kids wouldn’t be thrilled with my, “brown chicken,” as Anthony called it, so I saved some on the side to use on their plates without the dressing. I’ve talked about deconstructing dinners in the past and why that works for our family, and THIS meal is just one example of many as to why it works for us. That and the Doritos. The Doritos explain it all.
I pictured this meal being served at a book club, girlfriends luncheon, or in the backyard sunbathing with a big glass of Pinot Grigio. Since I’m not doing any of those things right now I’ll settle [happily] with my trio, a quick weeknight meal using a store-bought shortcut, and a bag of Doritos.
- 10-12 romaine lettuce leaves rinsed and dried
- 3 cups of rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1- 8-ounce fresh mozzarella ball, cubed
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place lettuce leaves on serving platter. Add chicken, vinegar, and Greek yogurt to mixing bowl. Toss until combined.
- To assemble the Caprese chicken lettuce wraps, divide chicken mixture, tomato, cheese, and basil among each lettuce cup. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Are you a fan of more low-carb, lettuce wrap ideas? Then you might like these meals: