Taco lettuce wraps are a lighter take on the classic Ground Beef taco. Packed with protein and lots of flavor, and a nice low-carb weeknight meal.
If I made Taco Tuesday an every night thing, I’m almost positive no one in my house would object. And I don’t think I would either. Tacos are the ultimate family-pleasing meal because they are completely customizable— from the taco shell to the fillings. I tried something new the other night; I swapped the taco shell for Bibb lettuce. The verdict? The boys ate the filling [no surprise there] and Ted and I enjoyed our hand-held taco lettuce wraps!
More often than not I think Mexican food gets a bad-rap because it’s usually carb-heavy. Rice, tortillas, beans, you name it. By opting for taco salads or these homemade taco lettuce wraps with the traditional taco shell, you’re not only exposing your family to more greens and lots of lean protein, but your helping your waistline too. Win win!
Take your taco Tuesday to the next level with these low carb Taco Lettuce Wraps! Click To Tweet
More often than not I think when people try to make healthier swaps with their family’s favorite meals, they’ll swap or change out the protein. I.e. “Let’s use ground turkey instead of ground beef!” Not here! This family loves Ground Beef, specifically lean Ground Beef, and this registered dietitian Mom does too. Lean Ground Beef is an economical protein-source, can be easily found at most grocery stores, and rarely needs a sauce or “disguise” to get my boys to at least try it. Add some taco seasoning and they are sold! So instead of swapping ground turkey for ground beef, consider changing your taco shell to a lettuce wrap! You might be surprised to learn that lean Ground Beef stacks up nutritionally [and in the taste category IMO] to ground turkey. Don’t believe me? Learn about it here!
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef [93% lean or leaner]
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 12-16 Bibb lettuce leaves, washed thoroughly
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced thin
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ avocado, cubed
- ½ cup salsa, optional
- ½ cup sour cream, optional
- Hot sauce to taste
- In a medium skillet, brown Ground Beef and onion over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is cooked through, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning, corn and beef broth. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- To assemble taco lettuce wraps, layer beef, then additional toppings in each lettuce cup. Serve with salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce.
Disclaimer: I am proud to partner with the Michigan Beef Industry Commission to bring you healthy recipes made with beef. Because of these great partnerships I am able to share delicious and nutritious family-friendly recipes. As always all opinion and ideas are 100% my own.