Offering kid-friendly dips alongside fruits, veggies, and new foods gives kids the creativity and want to take a bite or two!
Kids love to dip. Whether it’s because they can make a big mess on their plate or that there’s some element of fun that comes along with the eating process, I find that Joey is more willing to try fruits, veggies, and new foods if I serve them alongside a dip. Notice I said try, not devour. Which is OK. As long as I keep exposing him to these healthy foods and giving him the option as to whether or not he wants to eat them, we are working together to create a healthy mealtime environment. And my hope is that presented with a dip or not, he’ll be more likely to choose healthy foods throughout his lifetime.
So here are 5 kid-friendly dips + foods to pair them with, Joey approved, that have given him that extra [and not so obvious] “push” to eat more fruits and veggies, and confidence to try new foods:
1. Greek Yogurt Dip. Joey eats yogurt as a snack or for breakfast, so it was only a matter of time before I realized Greek yogurt serves as a great dip for getting Joey interested in fruits and veggies.
Joey’s Favorite: Honey Almond Greek Yogurt Dip
Serve with: apple slices, strawberries, pear slices, grapes.
2. BBQ Sauce. He get it from his Daddy! No really, most of the Serbinski men LOVE BBQ sauce.
3. Hummus. Hummus was one of Joey and Anthony’s first foods, and no matter what I serve it with, they’ll be sure to lick off the last bit of hummus before wasting a drop!
Joey’s Favorite: Sabra hummus [classic]. Mom’s favorite: Antipasto Hummus Dip.
4. Ranch. Yep. I fully support RANCH as a catalyst for getting kids to eat the good-for-you stuff. While there are multiple homemade ranch dips out there on the Internet to try, Joey is a purist. And likes Hidden Valley Ranch.
Joey’s Favorite: Hidden Valley Ranch.
Serve with: Any sliced raw veggie, chicken nuggets, veggie patties.
5. Marinara Sauce. My baby is a little Italian Stallion! Like Momma, he could bathe in good old Sunday Gravy. If he asks for it, I happily serve!
Joey’s Favorite: Mom’s Sunday Gravy.
There’s ketchup too— and few others I’m sure I missed. If your kids are into dipping, what dip makes them go back for seconds?!