Skillet Chicken, Macaroni and Cheese is made with a homemade cheese sauce, seasoned chicken, and fresh veggies. It’s a one-pot pasta your family is sure to devour!
Last week on Facebook I had a Mom meltdown. Well, a Mom rant. Yes, I was THAT Mom!! I took to Facebook because Joey taught me an important lesson when it came to this skillet chicken macaroni and cheese. Actually two lessons. First, don’t assume because you love gourmet mac and cheese that your kids will too. And second, when you serve your kids something new [he had never had skillet chicken macaroni and cheese], make sure you’re serving it with something familiar on their plate as well. I of course assumed he would like the noodles— but they were covered in a white cheese sauce vs. orange cheese sauce. And as you can imagine I didn’t put something he recognized on his dinner plate, so therefore he was not a happy camper.
Now please, PLEASE, do not let this mishap stop you from making skillet macaroni and cheese. Despite last week’s battle I didn’t throw in the towel. I ended up making the same recipe ONE week later, added a few of Joey’s favorites on his dinner plate with the macaroni and cheese, and guess what? He still didn’t eat any. BUT, he didn’t ask for any other food and I’m pretty sure he was just not hungry.
I’ve mentioned before that he typically eats a great breakfast— I think because he doesn’t eat much dinner and he naturally is just hungrier in the morning. That’s fine by me. It fuels his busy day! Regardless, I was a little upset he left round two of skillet chicken macaroni and cheese untouched, but that left more for me. He might prefer boxed mac n’ cheese, but Mom wants the real deal. With fresh veggies of course!
So don’t be discouraged if your kids turn their nose up at skillet chicken macaroni and cheese. Mom needs a little gourmet in her life every now and again— and deserves it too. And eventually your kids will take a bite or two of cheesy goodness! And I might just serve leftovers to Joey at breakfast!
- 1 cup dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1- 5 ounce package of semisoft cheese with garlic and fine herbs
- 1 ½ cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, chicken and onion. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in semi-soft cheese. Gradually add milk and flour into chicken mixture. Continue stirring and cooking over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheddar cheese and cooked macaroni. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted. Stir in spinach.
- Serve immediately. Top with cherry tomatoes.
Disclaimer: I am proud to partner with the United Dairy Industry of Michiganto bring you healthy recipes made with cow’s milk. Because of these great partnerships I am able to share delicious and nutritious family-friendly recipes. As always all opinion and ideas are 100% my own. Find out why Milk Means More on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram.