Taco stuffed sweet potatoes combine your favorite taco toppings with a nutritious sweet potato as a healthy base! Make this meal even quicker by cooking the sweet potatoes ahead of time.
When it comes to weekly meal planning, we almost always have a taco-esc themed dinner night. So, whether that’s oven baked tacos, taco salads, taco lettuce wraps, or taco stuffed sweet potatoes, I’m bringing out the lean Ground Beef, some taco seasoning, and lots of cheese. Because the boys will demand cheese melted on a mini-tortilla when they realize it’s taco night!
If you haven’t already guessed it, these taco stuffed sweet potatoes were thoroughly enjoyed by Ted and I. The boys? Eh. Like I said, they wanted cheese melted on a tortilla [in the microwave— so gourmet!]. Anthony had some of the beef and a few bites of my sweet potato. Joey? He definitely had his fair share of melted cheese.
That doesn’t mean your two or three-year-old won’t like taco stuffed sweet potatoes. I’m just giving you a heads-up to have some tortillas on hand for those that want carbs from a tortilla vs. a sweet potato. Can you blame them?!
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef, 93% lean or leaner
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 package taco seasoning or 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, avocado, green onion
- Preheat oven to 375.
- To cook the sweet potatoes, prick the potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave two at a time on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning the potatoes once.
- Meanwhile, cook Ground Beef in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking into crumbles. Sprinkle taco seasoning onto the beef and stir to combine. If mixture seems dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Cut each sweet potato in half and fill with ¾ -1 cup of beef mixture. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with toppings such as fresh salsa, sour cream, and avocado.
What your family’s favorite way to celebrate taco night?! Do you think your kiddos would eat their taco with a sweet potato vs. tortilla?! Or am I pushing my luck with this one….