15-minute orange chicken stir-fry satisfies any craving for takeout with a healthy, light and flavorful orange sauce made from pantry staples like orange juice and soy sauce.
If men had pregnancy cravings, I think Ted’s craving with all three of our kiddos would be Chinese food. I guess it’s fitting that one of the most popular recipes on my blog is Slow Cooker Honey Orange Chicken— a recipe I made often for the hubby! And while I’m all for using the slow cooker year-round, if I don’t successfully meal plan on the weekend then I’m scrambling for dinner like many people once 5pm hits! So this Orange Chicken Stir-Fry is the 20-minute counterpart to its popular, slow cooker older sister. Honestly, the time it takes to cook these two recipes [extreme opposites] has been the story of my life the past few weeks. I’m either super prepared and ready for a delicious sit-down dinner, or I’m throwing food in the skillet and creating meals like this orange chicken stir-fry.
What I love about skillet stir-fry’s is you can mix and match whatever veggies and protein you have on hand. And since the boys are on a bell pepper and orange kick right now, I knew they’d make a great addition to the orange chicken stir-fry! One thing should stay the same though if you’re wanting to keep true to the “sauciness” and flavor of this recipe: the sauce! I almost always have a pack of Simple Truth Chicken Breasts in my freezer or fridge.
You could amp up the flavor even more in this recipe by browning the chicken a little longer than I did [or technically, at a higher heat]. Or grating in some fresh ginger. But with the boys scrambling around me, yelling for dinner, I made this one as quickly as humanly possible. When I tried explaining it was even healthier than an orange chicken takeout meal and to be patient because they were about to have a delicious dinner, they looked at me like I was crazy and continued clamoring for snacks and cereal while I cooked. Dinnertime with toddlers is NOT glamourous. But quick, simple meals such as this make family mealtimes worthwhile, amidst the chaos!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-pound Simple Truth Natural Chicken Breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ medium sized yellow onion, sliced thin
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced thin
- ½ orange bell pepper, sliced thin
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Simple Truth 100% Pure Orange Juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth Organic Honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup orange slices or clementine slices
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked, divided
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetables and salt and pepper and cook an additional 3 minutes. Transfer chicken vegetable mixture to a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add remaining ingredients for the sauce. Whisk until combined. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced some.
- Add chicken and vegetables back to the pan. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Serve with fresh orange slices and brown rice.
PS. The sauce is LIGHT. Which is what I need at 40 weeks pregnant after being outside all day in the middle of a humid summer. If you want a thicker sauce, I’d suggest making a cornstarch slurry. Here’s the how-to I’d follow if you’d like to do that!
Disclaimer: I am proud to partner with the Kroger Co. of Michigan to bring you healthy recipes and science-based nutrition advice. Because of these great partnerships I am able to share delicious and nutritious family-friendly recipes. As always all opinion and ideas are 100% my own.