Italian Sausage Skillet Dinner is packed with lean protein, Italian flavors and plenty of fresh vegetables. Plus it’s ready in less than 20 minutes, making it one easy weeknight meal.
It’s moving week folks! Which might make it just a tad bit crazy that I’m even considering writing a blog post. But that’s the thing about blogging; sometimes I get so inspired to share an update or recipe. Especially a recipe that takes less than 20 minutes to make and pleases MOST of the family. This Italian sausage skillet dinner was and will be a winner for quite some time. Mostly because everyone had something they enjoyed in the ingredients list, and it was easy enough to pair with some sauced-up pasta [you know a certain trio loved that].
ME on the other hand. Well, I didn’t really enjoy this one. Not because I don’t love everything about an Italian sausage skillet dinner. It’s because the world’s worst reflux has plagued my 36-week pregnant self. Holy reflux Batman! Even with an anti-acid medication regimen, I’m just not doing well with spice, acidic, or extra-flavorful foods. Yep, that includes YOU coffee! But once Chapter 4 makes his arrival I’ll be sure to add this one to our weeknight meal rotation again.
I always tend to use vegetables I have on hand when making a skillet meal, and fresh tomatoes plus fresh mushrooms were the stars of this skillet. You could always add-in green peppers or spinach too! With an abundance of summer produce still in season [despite fall right around the corner] there’s really no vegetable that wouldn’t taste great in this one.
[And now let the packing begin again!]
So, here’s to simple skillet dinners that fit the bill for busy weeknights, busy moving weeks, and yep, those little nuggets who make weeks of reflux oh so worth it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 sweet Italian chicken sausage links, sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- For serving: cooked pasta alongside your favorite pasta sauce, shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, sauteeing until translucent and brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and chicken sausage. Continue cooking until sausage is cooked through and garlic becomes fragrant, about another 8 minutes.
- Stir in fresh basil and serve immediately.
Looking for more skillet meals? Then check out my skillet dinner archives on the blog!