Herbed Chicken and Mushroom Skillet is a simple weeknight meal filled with earthy flavors and made kid-friendly with penne pasta and a sprinkle or two of Parmesan cheese!
There are few things in life that excite me more than food. And especially food that can be made into a meal my ENTIRE family will enjoy. I’ll have you know that I’m knocking on wood the whole time I’m writing this post because I’m that excited to share that this meal, herbed chicken and mushroom skillet. It just so happened to be one of those meals. Granted the boys ate plenty of the penne pasta I served it with and I KNOW the extra sprinkle of parmesan and mozzarella cheese helped my cause, but please, let me enjoy this moment for awhile….
Dinner is my “me time.” And while my toddlers take joy in throwing their food and serving themselves from our family style meal setting, it’s not always the calmest of events in our house. But I’m not throwing in the towel, or looking for other ways to bring myself happiness. I look forward to the family sitting around the table and knowing at least two of us will enjoy dinner. Throw a little pasta in the mix alone with herbed chicken and mushrooms and apparently I’ll be pleasantly surprised as to how dinner goes!
Skillet meals tend to go over well in our house. I’m not sure if it’s because I usually serve with some type of grain [think pasta, rice, quinoa, etc.] or because it’s easy clean-up, but complaints are typically at a minimum. I cooked our chicken in the slow cooker but you could easily cut it into 1-inch pieces and cook in the skillet before the vegetables. I just find my boys are more likely to eat meat when it’s been tenderized by the slow cooker. So here’s to a simple chicken skillet dinner, and the hope that ONE dinner goes well for all of us this week!
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups penne pasta [or any other grain, such as brown rice, quinoa, barley]
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add chicken and seasonings to insert of slow cooker. Add ¼ cup water. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Once chicken is cooked through, shred with two forks. [This step can be done ahead of time and chicken can be stored in an airtight container in your fridge].
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile add olive oil to large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Sautee until onions become translucent, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add vinegar and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Add chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with pasta and Parmesan cheese.
Missing some spices in your pantry? Simply substitute a tablespoon of Italian seasoning for the spices mentioned in this recipe. Just don’t forget the garlic! Also considering topping the skillet with mozzarella cheese just before serving. My kids loved that trick…
Skip the canned soup and try this fresh Herbed Chicken and Mushroom skillet for dinner! Click To Tweet