Greek Stuffed Bell Peppers are a Mediterranean twist on a family favorite weeknight classic. Made with lean Ground Beef and other kitchen staples like canned tomatoes, dried spices, and feta cheese.
If you follow my produce prep chronicles or pretty much any kid-food post on Instagram, you know that my kids are BIG fan of bell peppers. And beef. But for some reason when I put the two together neither wants anything to do with them. Imagine that! What I’m trying to say is the million dollar question that I know a lot of you ask when I post a new recipe: “did her kids really eat that?” Nope. They didn’t. But Mom did. And so did Nana and Goomba and Uncle Dominic.
March is celebrated as National Nutrition Month® by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years about combining my training as a registered dietitian nutritionist and feeding my family is that feeding kids is a LOT harder than I thought it would be. So sometimes I do simple meals like sliced peppers and a plain Ground Beef burger for the kids. And other nights I wow the adults around me with meals like these Greek stuffed bell peppers.
Did the kids go hungry? No way. They had raw stuffed peppers and some of the Ground Beef mixture on the side. I even told them they were missing the FLAVOR EXPLOSION in their mouths… but alas, flavor explosion really means nothing to a 3-year-old.
I’ll be honest, this is my first time making stuffed bell peppers. I always thought they were a time consuming or difficult recipe. There’s something to be said about trying a new recipe with 4 kids at home- this one WORKED! Because it’s simple, and like I said before, it has components the entire family will nibble on. I hope you join me this National Nutrition Month in celebrating simple meals with lots of flavor [beef + fire roasted tomatoes + feta, there’s nothing better!]. Are you a stuffed peppers fan? If so, then give this variation a try! And while I’m a firm believer that most cuts of beef [Ground Beef included] taste great with just a little salt and pepper, take your cut to new flavor heights this National Nutrition Month with these simple marinades and rubs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bell peppers, cut in half, stems and seeds removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, garlic, and onion. Cook, stirring to crumble, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, rice, red wine vinegar, and oregano. Cook another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide mixture evenly among bell pepper halves [about ½ cup each]. Arrange in 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with feta cheese and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
However you celebrate National Nutrition Month® is up to you. Just remember – America’s favorite protein, beef, is here to help you celebrate in a delicious and easy way.