We are a big sandwich eating family- and for good reason! They’re easy to make, easy to eat on the go, and filled with the right stuff they’re healthy for you! You can pile lots of delicious, healthy toppings between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich. If your turkey on rye needs a transformation, change up your weekly routine with these 5 healthy sandwich swaps.
1. Toast the bread! This is a great tip if you’re using a heartier, whole grain or whole wheat bread, which I find more appealing when warmed. You could use a Panini press to warm up all of your sandwich ingredients or simply put the bread in a toaster before you build your sandwich.
2. Change up the spread. Think beyond mayo and mustard and try some different spreads for extra flavor. I love using hummus when I have a hankering for extra protein or avocado for some healthy fats!
3. Toss out the turkey. Well not really, but consider a deli meat beyond turkey. Or better yet, try one of the pre-seasoned deli meats for extra flavor. Boar’s Head has some great options! I also make sure I have canned tuna on hand and plenty of eggs on hand each week. Scrambled egg sandwiches are satisfying for breakfast, lunch, or dinner in my opinion!
4. Add a little crunch! Lettuce and tomato are the usual suspects here, but I like adding additional toppings such as coleslaw mix, cucumber, red onion, apple slices for some extra bite!
5. Update a classic. If you’re a fan of the tuna melt like me, opt for making the tuna salad with Greek yogurt vs. mayo. Or try making your sandwich on various grains, such as tortillas, English muffins, or mini-bagels [which are great for portion control].
Whether you’re eating a sandwich at breakfast, lunch, or dinner, I hope you’ll consider transforming your sandwich standby with these simple healthy sandwich swaps!
Hungry for more? These are some healthier sandwich options I’m currently digging!
Curried Tuna Salad with Apples from the Lean Green Bean
Heavenly Hummus Wrap from The Pioneer Woman
Peanut Butter Sandwich Variations from Mom to Mom Nutrition
Turkey Wraps from Rachel Cooks
I have been all about the swaps to wraps this year for the child.
and to my (WHEW) joy she’s been all about them too.
It makes life so easier when they go with the food flow right?!
Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health says
my boyfriend likes sandwiches for lunch but it gets so boring after a while. thanks for these tips!
Agreed!!! It’s easy to do the same old same old!
Kristy @ Chocolate Slopes says
Great ideas Katie! We especially love using tortillas in our house and they are perfect for 1 year olds 🙂
Yes!!! I also like using the flat out wraps– J is hit or miss with those 😉
You make it sound so easy! LOL! I’ve got to try this. We are tired of the same ole same ole! thanks.
It’s only easy when I plan ahead… 🙂
I especially liked the add the crunch idea’s – it’s time to revamp some of my staple sandwiches. Thanks!
Fresh veggies make all the difference in my sandwich! Glad you enjoyed this Mandy!
Jill at Maggie May's says
Great suggestions! I think my favorite part is the adorable baby had in the picture of the turkey wrap! 🙂 so cute
Lol he’s always trying to get in my food photos 😉
Elizabeth @ Enjoy Every Bite says
All great ideas! We’ve recently been using whole wheat pitas and it’s been such a nice change!
Pita bread! How could I forget that one?!
Toasting my bread for my tuna sandwich this afternoon went through my mind and then I decided I was too hungry to wait 🙂 But I most def will try it out next time! I also LOVE avocado on my TURKEY sandwiches….changes it up a bit!
Avocado and turkey is such a great combo…
Patty @ Reach Your Peak says
I LOVE sandwiches for lunch. That’s my go-to. Lately I’ve been trying to make it with less deli meats though and more veggies. My favorite is melted cheese on turkey and whole wheat. These are great tips!
Melted cheese makes any sandwich better IMO!!
Rachel Cooks says
Great ideas! And thank you for including me! xo
Your turkey wrap is a staple for us!!
Good tips! Makes lunch time a little more fun too!
Rebekah @Surviving Toddlerhood says
These are great changes Katie! I love putting hummus and avocado on my wraps and salads. My favorite crunchy thing is carrots. 🙂
ummm you forgot to write about BOMBASS sandwiches that your fave roommate used to make! 🙂
Hahahaha I wasn’t sure if it was PG enough but I was thinking it the whole time!!
Heather Mason says
I need to get a panini press! Cold sandwiches don’t do it for me. But if I can eat them warm from a panini press I would be eating sandwiches all the time!
We use ours 4-5 times a week. Highly recommended!!
Jenna Hunter says
Learning about how I can make my sandwiches healthier is really helpful. It would be really cool to try some of these at a restaurant. Getting healthy and being able to eat out is great.