Since Joey started solid foods, I’ve been keeping a running list of foods NOT to feed him. Because of the nutritional value? No. Because of the cost? Nope. Because they take too much time to prep and cook? Think again. It’s because these foods create a HUGE mess when he eats them! Once he moves past the “I’ll take a bite and throw the rest across the room” phase, I’ll surely let him eat them again. Maybe. This type-A clean freak Mom [funny because I have kids, right?!] will forgive her sweet boy… eventually.
You’ve probably guessed that quinoa is on “the list.” Those pearly little whole grains find every nook and cranny in my hardwood floor and carpet. I’ve even found them in Joey’s diaper! Because I like the taste of quinoa and the nutritional punch the whole grain punches, I decided there had to be a way to let my right-handed pitcher enjoy it too. And that’s where Three-Cheese Quinoa Bites have saved the day [and my flooring].
Three-Cheese Quinoa Bites + Messy Kiddos
Three-Cheese Quinoa Bites are THE perfect toddler food. They are the right size for dipping, 1-2 bites for eating, and they hold their shape well when thrown. Believe me, I witnessed that one! I also consider the three-cheese variation to be the beginning of my culinary exploration with these bites— I can’t wait to create other food and flavor combinations!!
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 350. Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Lightly grease a mini-muffin tin pan.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into each muffin tin cup, filling each cup to the top [about one heaping tablespoon each].
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. Serve immediately with a dipping sauce, such as ketchup or marinara sauce.
What else is on this forbidden foods list? Cornbread. Mexican Wedding Cookies. Coffee Cake. Do you see a theme here? Crumbly foods! Crumbs… I have nightmares about toddlers, crumbs, and my kitchen!