Spinach and arugula lasagna roll-ups are filled with leafy greens, cheese, and marinara sauce. A meal the whole family is sure to enjoy!
Disclosure: I was asked to participate in the #PastaFits campaign as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I was compensated for my time. As always, thoughts, opinions, and stories about my kids are my own— you can’t make this stuff up folks!
As a registered dietitian and self-proclaimed foodie, it’s no joke when I tell you that my life revolves around food. When I’m not eating, I’m researching, recipe developing, or writing about food and nutrition. This all comes in handy because the way to my husband’s heart is through his stomach, so consider him the lucky one!
Anyhow, you might be surprised to learn there are actually food holidays or days and months that a particular food is celebrated. And guess what? October is National Pasta Month! Say whaaat?! Yep, there’s a month to celebrate pasta. So I’m giving a nod to my favorite food with these spinach and arugula lasagna roll-ups. Because if I had a whole month to celebrate me I’d want something delicious to eat too!
I love these spinach and arugula lasagna roll-ups for two BIG reasons: 1. Portion control. I can easily take one or two of the roll-ups and call it a meal. And 2. This is a great recipe to get your kids helping in the kitchen. Joey wasn’t that helpful with the rolling, but he liked watching me complete the process. Oh, wait there’s a number 3. You can mix and match what the lasagna filling can be! I just chose leafy greens because it’s a way I know my boys will eat them. Greens served as a side salad? No one is eating them. Greens served with pasta? They gobble it down!
If you only knew me by my maiden name [Caputo], you can guess that every month is National Pasta Month in my house. I grew up on lasagna, spaghetti, manicotti, you name it, and am following suit with my boys. Pasta is an ideal partner for other foods that are essential to a healthy diet and lifestyle.
With so many ways to make lasagna and these spinach and arugula lasagna roll-ups, you’ll never get bored eating it! Plus pasta is SO economical. Now that Anthony is on solid foods I’m grocery shopping for four of us. And that means I turn to foods like pasta that are not only easy on our budget, they taste great too!
Are you as crazy about pasta as the Serbinski crew? Then head on over to thePasta Fits website for more nutritious and delicious pasta recipes.
- 8 traditional lasagna noodles, cooked, drained
- 1 egg
- 1 container [15 ounces] ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and immediately lay on a non-stick baking sheet.
- In large bowl, combine the egg, Italian seasoning, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan cheese. In a separate bowl, combine the spinach, arugula, olive oil, and pepper.
- To prepare lasagna roll-ups, spread each lasagna noodle with 2 tablespoons of cheese filling. Top with a handful of spinach arugula mixture [about ¼ cup each roll-up]. Roll up each noodle starting at one end. Repeat until all noodles have been filled and rolled.
- Pour ¼ cup of marinara sauce over each roll-up and top with ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.