Tender steak and sweet bell peppers come together for one simple weeknight meal with these slow cooker steak fajitas!
Growing up there were a few meals that were always in my Mom’s mealtime rotation. Meatloaf, stir-fry, and fajitas! So when I was in the oh-so-frequent Katie fog called motherhood the other day and needed to phone a friend [aka my Mom] for a dinner suggestion, she named her top two [not the meatloaf; she knows I’m not a fan]. I took her fajita recipe to the next level and made it even easier by making recipe adaptations to create these slow cooker steak fajitas.
Not a fan of using your slow cooker during warm weather? You can easily grill the meat or use a sauté pan and cook them on the stove top. But while everyone is relishing in summertime grilling, I’m still relying on my trusty slow cooker to help me get dinner on the table at the end of a busy day spent at the park or doctor appointments. Grilling is saved for the weekends when Dad is home and I don’t have to be on toddler-watch too!
While it might seem like I used a lot of seasoning in these slow cooker steak fajitas, I tend to use about one tablespoon of seasoning per 1 pound of meat. While you could substitute taco seasoning, I like the earthiness bite fajita seasoning has— is that even a thing?! It is in my book! Also take into account my slow cooker steak fajitas only serve 2 [well technically 4, but the toddlers didn’t eat much of the steak]. So if you are serving a bigger crowd, double the recipe, or at least the steak portion!
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-pound top sirloin steak, sliced thin
- ½ yellow onion, sliced thin
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Juice and zest of one lime
- For serving: tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocado slices
- In a large resealable plastic bag, add spices and steak slices. Shake until steak is coated evenly with spices.
- Add steak to slow cooker. Top with vegetables. Add Worcestershire sauce, water, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low for 4.5 hours. Add lime juice and zest, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite fajita toppings and warmed tortillas or brown rice.
If you’re a fan of using your slow cooker year-round like me, what’s one recipe you’ve got on replay right now?! Add one more slow cooker recipe to your weeknight meal rotation with these simple steak fajitas! Click To Tweet