Need an easy, fix-it and forget-it dinner recipe? This slow cooker pizza chicken has all the flavors of pizza without the fuss of making pizza crust!
I really wanted to name this slow cooker pizza chicken the chicken dinner my entire family ate. But then I realized no one would Google that recipe and folks, food blogging doesn’t work well without Google on your side. Oh and then there’s the part about my whole family NOT eating this one. Why? Who knows. Joey wanted garlic bread and Anthony wanted cucumbers. I never try to get inside their minds when I serve them a meal. Lily? Oh you know little sis enjoyed this one!
Disclaimer: My kids ate very little dinner this night. And actually ate some for leftovers the next day. While I try to please them with my cooking, sometimes I don’t hit it out of the park in their book.
You could’ve guessed Ted enjoyed this recipe with “pizza” in the title because of my family’s pizza obsession. If you love pizza just as much as this group, then you probably have all of the ingredients on hand! I used my recipe for homemade pizza sauce but any pizza sauce will do. I also chose orzo because it’s a noodle Lily really likes to pick up with her little fingers. No orzo? No problem! Just substitute whatever pasta you have on hand.
Want to take your slow cooker pizza chicken to the next level? Cook-up some fresh veggies [and um, PROSCIUTTO] to go alongside. There’s something to be said about a fresh component to a slow cooker meal. It makes it taste less slow cookery?! You know what I mean. It’s almost like having your favorite pizza toppings as a side dish. One thing is for sure in this busy, play-outside-all-day-park-life kinda summer the Serbinski crew is having, one cannot have enough slow cooker recipes. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups pizza sauce [here’s my recipe]
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 ½ cup orzo pasta
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Add chicken breasts, pizza sauce, and wine to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- minutes before serving, cook orzo according to package directions.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Return to slow cooker and stir with sauce, fresh basil, and orzo.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Katie Koch says
Looks good! Trying this tonight!
Katie Dolendi says
Can you freeze left chicken???
Yes you can!