Made with pantry staples and store-bought sauces, Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken with Peppers and Onions is one weeknight dinner you can’t pass up.
I’m kicking off the 2019-2020 school year with one of the world’s easiest slow cooker recipes: BBQ chicken with peppers and onions. I almost always have the ingredients for this recipe on hand, and while nothing beats a good old piece of grilled BBQ chicken, not many Moms have time to grill let alone figure out what to make for dinner once school season starts, alas, why this is a slow cooker recipe. I know you know I know that we all know… [did you get that?].
You could always just use BBQ sauce OR make your own BBQ sauce for this recipe, but to add an extra depth of flavor I figured a few dashes of soy and Worcestershire sauces would make difference. And a difference they did!
While recovery is still consuming my everyday life [and likely will for the rest of my life- updates on recovery can be found here], the school year PLUS 5pm dinners are also ruling my day to day. Assuming you are in the grind like me, I hope you find this slow cooker BBQ chicken with peppers and onions just that: simple, delicious, and a big dash of flavor you need to get through a busy day.
- 2-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Add ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker until ready to serve.
- Serve on rolls as a sandwich, on top of brown rice or quinoa, or in a wrap.