Salsa chicken skillet combines your favorite salsa and shredded chicken for one easy, make-ahead weeknight meal!
I think I’ve found my culinary calling. And I’m embarrassed to say it’s cooking with shredded chicken. Yep, my fancy way of cooking for my family is just as simple as cooking chicken breasts in your slow cooker [with salsa in this recipe] and shredding it as the base for a variety of meals. While I’m fairly certain my kids might start balking like chickens any minute now, I’m more than ok with that. Chicken breast is a protein they’ll eat when disguised in a sauce. And I’m finding some unique ways to do just that! The newest way: this delicious simple salsa chicken skillet dinner.
I actually should dedicate this new shredded chicken meal idea to Lily and my food cravings while I was pregnant with her. I would make this salsa chicken skillet and serve it with a bag of Doritos. Yep, supermom registered dietitian right here! You can’t fault me for sharing with the kids… or else I would’ve eaten the whole bag of Doritos. Not a Doritos fan? The salsa chicken and rice filling is delicious served as a topping regular old nachos [seriously try it with Doritos though], a topping for leafy greens for taco salads, or a filling for enchiladas or tacos.
All I wanted was peanut butter when I was pregnant with both boys, so I’m a little worried that my baby girl had me wanting nacho cheese Doritos. Maybe she was just giving Mom a little help in the kitchen already!? Whatever the reasoning, I can’t be mad at her or my waistline because this salsa chicken skillet makes me that happy. Maybe it’s the Doritos talking… Notice there are two ways to make this recipe: ahead of time in the slow cooker, then reheating it with rice in the skillet [like I did here], or you can make it all in the skillet just before serving! Your chicken likely won’t shred, but you can cube it before cooking. You can also use microwaveable brown rice, which makes this meal take even less time to cook!
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- For serving: avocado, chips, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream
- Add chicken and salsa to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Shred with two forks. [If you forget this step, you can cube the chicken, toss with taco seasoning and cook on the skillet for 10-12 minutes before adding the salsa and rice]
- minutes before dinner, heat skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil, shredded chicken salsa mix, taco seasoning, and rice. Mix until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings or tortillas!
It’s really that simple. Simple enough that I probably shouldn’t call myself a food blogger or call this a recipe but hey, if you’re like me, you need reminders of no-brainer meals like this one! Click To Tweet
In case you missed my post dedicated to shredded chicken, I recently rounded up a few more favorites in this 15 meal ideas shredded chicken post. Count this salsa chicken skillet as number 16! And if you’re a fan of this chicken and salsa base, change up your mix-ins and try this chicken taco bowl!