Ground Beef skillet nachos make an easy weeknight meal ready in less than 30 minutes and packed with healthy foods like lean beef and veggies.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE GROUND BEEF SKILLET NACHOS
Once a week I’m usually cooking-up some kind of Mexican food. Tacos, CHECK. Taco salads, CHECK. Quesadillas, CHECK. Last week I had a hankering for salty, crunchy tortilla chips. I decided to change up my weekly Mexican food routine and dabbled with the creation of these Ground Beef skillet nachos. Whether it’s taco Tuesday or not, these Ground Beef skillet nachos will be making an appearance again on my weekly menu soon, real soon… because they are simple, fast, and I can’t name 1 of my 4 that won’t go for seconds of at least the chips or Ground Beef!
CHIPS FOR DINNER? IS THAT HEALTHY?
Yes, even registered dietitians have cravings for salty, crunchy chips. The best part about satisfying this craving with Ground Beef skillet nachos is that I could have my cake and eat it too: salty chips topped with protein-packed Ground Beef and fresh veggies! And you know if I’m raving about a recipe on this blog it’s definitely a balance between the give and take of what Mom wants vs. what the kids want. That’s when I don’t get too upset that I’m deconstructing meals for each child. As long as I have the ingredients on hand and they each eat some variation, I’m OK with that. Now if someone asked me to make pasta alongside the Ground Beef skillet nachos then that would be a big N-O!
SODIUM SWAPS FOR THE TORTILLA CHIPS
Nachos are an everything but the kitchen sink kind of meal. Get creative with your toppings! And if you DO NOT have a craving for salty chips, consider swapping the chips for something else: brown rice, quinoa, pita chips, potato wedges, etc.
The case of characters for my recipe included oven baked chips and my FAVORITE store bought salsa, Garden Fresh. It’s a Michigan-made product that only uses FRESH ingredients. Hence the brand name! I opted for store bought salsa and used a homemade taco seasoning.
If you have a Mexican-food night every week, what’s your go-to recipe? Would you consider adding nachos?!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- Tortilla Chips, about 6-7 cups
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- Optional Toppings:
- Red and Green Bell Pepper, diced
- Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Avocado, chopped
- Sour Cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-heat. Add Ground Beef and cook for about 10 minutes, breaking the beef into crumbles. Remove drippings.
- Add the onion and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the Ground Beef mixture from the skillet.
- Add the tortilla chips to the skillet. Top with the Ground Beef Mixture, then the shredded cheese.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and serve with the toppings of your choice!