Ready in less than 30 minutes, this beef and kale stir-fry makes THE ideal nutritious and family-pleasing weeknight meal.
I created this Ground Beef and kale stir-fry for the most important men in my life. Growing up, stir-fry was on my family’s weekly meal rotation because it was one of my Dad’s favorite meals. Once I started cooking for myself I thought I was finally rid of the stir-fry frenzy until I met my husband. The only thing Ted has ever cooked for me has been stir-fry, mainly because it’s one of those one-pot, easy clean up meals.
Can’t blame the guy— those are all good reasons! So in honor of Father’s Day and two men who deserve delicious and nutritious food for being the best fathers and friends, here’s a stir-fry recipe I know they’ll be requesting weekly. My Mom will thank me for a new recipe to add to her stir-fry rotation!
True story: the first meal I made for Ted at his place went a little something like this: Ted walked into the kitchen while I plated dinner and said, “Whoa! I didn’t know I had this many dishes.” I pretty much had used every pot and pan in his kitchen to make dinner. This stir-fry man only needed one pan! And didn’t blink an eye at any other pan in his kitchen.
I’m not sure why I turned my nose up at stir-fry when I was growing up. Now I can’t get enough of this Asian-inspired dish. For starters, most stir-fries are PACKED with vegetables. There’s no such thing as too many vegetables in my book. This Ground Beef and kale stir-fry also includes a food my family loves more than vegetables: beef.
Ground Beef is economical, nutritious, and easily takes on the flavor of this simple stir-fry sauce! The entire family, including my somewhat particular eating toddler, was going back for seconds of the carrots and Ground Beef. Joey’s take on the kale? Eh, he passed that up. But that left more kale for Mom and Dad!
Happy Father’s Day to all the stir-fry requesting, one-pan cleaning dads out there! And also to my father in law who appreciates the meals I make— I’m not sure what he thinks about stir-fry but I’m almost positive he’d like this one too!
- 1 cup of uncooked brown rice
- ½ cup of beef broth
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 pound of lean Ground Beef, 93% lean or leaner
- 3 cups of kale, chopped
- 1 cup of red cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup of carrots, shredded
- Cook rice as directed on package.
- In a small bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings.
- Add stir-fry sauce to ground beef; cover and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Serve vegetable mixture over rice.