Fire-up the grill for the flavorful combination of grilled strip steaks with mushrooms. Perfect for a summer BBQ, weeknight meal, or date-night at home.
You may or may not know this about me, but in my past life [aka life before kids], I was a registered dietitian nutritionist for the beef industry. I worked on behalf of America’s beef producers and talked on-the-daily about the health benefits of my family’s favorite protein: beef. To say I loved my job is an understatement. And before you ask, nope, we didn’t get free beef! But cooking and eating lots of beef we did, and still do today. There’s a reason Anthony repeatedly asks for more beef when it’s on our dinner table: Mom got pretty good at making meals like this grilled strip steaks with mushrooms recipe.
Strip steaks [aka New York Strip Steak at the meat counter] are one of the many lean cuts of beef [think little fat], so it’s important you cook them in a way that’s not going to overcook the beef. Hence why I love grilling them with a simple rub like my go-to for almost every grilled steak plus one of my favorite steak toppings [sautéed mushrooms and onions] and guys, your kids will be asking for more beef too!
You can make your life even easier by prepping the mushrooms and onions ahead of time and reheating before dinner. I often make this same mushroom mixture during a session of produce prep and will use it throughout the week mixed in with sautéed green beans, a topping for burgers, or a topping for grilled hot dogs.
With grilling season upon us and Memorial Day right around the corner, skip the burgers and hot dogs and try this simple recipe for grilled strip steaks with mushrooms. Consider yourself a grilling novice? Then check out some of my favorite resources on grilling up a juicy burger or steak! And don’t worry. If you overcook the beef, just dip it in ketchup or BBQ sauce [the boys know this trick all too well when Mom gets distracted at dinnertime].
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 beef Strip Steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- Combine seasoning ingredients in small bowl. Press seasoning evenly onto steaks.
- Place steaks on grid over grill heated to medium. Grill, covered, 11 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally. For medium rare, check internal temperature [145 degrees] or medium [160 degrees].
- Slice steak and serve alongside mushrooms.
- 2 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Melt butter over large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Cook until the mushrooms and onions are soft, about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes allowing the vegetables to brown.
- Add balsamic vinegar and garlic salt. Reduce heat to medium, cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Serve with grilled strip steaks.
What are your plans for Memorial Day weekend?
Will you be firing up the grill?
Who “mans” the grill in your house?Consider yourself a grilling novice? Then fire-up the grill for these simply grilled strip steaks and mushrooms! Click To Tweet