We rounded out this school week [it might be the last week of school?! I should probably look into that…] with a request for PB & J sandwiches, and guess what? I was OUT of bread! In an effort to please my students [aka my own children], I swapped the bread for graham crackers, and voila! Graham cracker sandwiches! There is a method to my cooking AND teaching madness… and you know I’ll be the first to admit that by the end of any week [school or not] I’m willing to do just about anything when it comes to keep the crew happy and well-fed.
These graham cracker sandwiches are truly a no-recipe, recipe, and a recipe that’s pretty self-explanatory. So, let’s get to the second part of this post: summer. There’s not much we can plan here in Michigan when it comes to summer travel, pool days, or play dates, as we are still under a stay-at-home-order until June 12th. BUT, if there’s anything recovery has taught me over the past 18 months, it’s that there are things we can do and control TODAY, regardless of what the future holds. Here’s what I know we’ll be doing this summer:
- Joey will be working with a teacher/tutor once a week to assist with his reading and writing skills. I’m so thankful that his current teacher and principal at our school facilitated this support for Joey and that despite COVID-19 restrictions, we can move forward with lessons this summer. Joey is THRILLED, as his tutor, Mrs. McMahon, always brings a “treat” for him to choose from once the lesson is over. Plus, she comes to our house so he can continue doing schoolwork in pajamas. Can you blame him?!
- Joey, Anthony, and Lily will participate in at-home swim lessons for a few weeks at the end of June. Michael isn’t quite at the age yet, but if he’s anything like his siblings, he will be joining our team of fish in no time!
- We will continue to travel between the Beverly Hills house, Nana and Grandpa’s house in Dearborn, and NOW the Nana and Goomba’s cottage in northern Michigan. We’re hoping to see Ted’s parents at some point this summer too- but it all depends on travel restrictions and work schedules.
When at Nana and Goomba’s we work hard [Lily spreading mulch]…
We also play and eat hard too!
- Recovery will and still is number one for Mom. This time last year I was in rehab for almost 30 days. While it hasn’t been smooth sailing since then, I have weathered storms and am here to always share the ups and downs of my journey. I’m still attending recovery meetings once a day online and asking for HELP when I need it as it pertains to my sobriety, parenting, or heck, LIFE in general.
- OH, some big news: Mom is back working with beef! The Michigan Beef Industry Commission to be exact. I’ll be utilizing my nutrition communications skills [from home the majority of the time] sharing the latest and greatest beef nutrition research, resources, and recipes with health professionals and consumers in my home-state, Michigan. Don’t you worry though, I’ll still be sharing a variety of recipes here, with a few of my beef favorites mixed in.
Ok. From graham cracker sandwiches to beef, you know my mind tends to be all over the place when I start sharing. As always, I’m sending you a big THANK YOU and virtual hug from my kitchen table.
Tell me: what’s on your agenda this summer?