I’m sure you know where I’m about to go with this post. Our sweet little sis, Ms. Lily, is officially two months old. Well technically two months and two days by the time you are reading this, but who’s counting. And guess what else I have to announce with Lily’s two month post?! She’s officially refusing bottles. Yep, I definitely didn’t see that one coming either. Her brothers took bottles better than the breast, but sis has decided otherwise. Don’t get me wrong; I’m glad this is our biggest hiccup right now. Lily has a mild temperament [unless in her car seat or presented with a bottle], she smiles and coos when she’s awake, and gives me a decent 5-6 hour stretch most nights. But the bottle…. THE BOTTLE. What baby doesn’t like a bottle?!
Because I feel like I’ve tried everything, I’m going share what I’ve done so far to get Lily to try the bottle, and then it’s your turn to share other ideas— if you have any I’ve missed! Ready for it?! Operation get Lily to take a bottle has begun!
What we’ve tried:
- We’ve purchased a variety of different bottles, nipples and nipple flows. Ted’s thinks I should start an online boutique of baby bottles with the collection I’ve started.
- VERY warm breastmilk— warmer than what comes out of Mom!
- Having different people feed her. That means everyone that’s walked through my front door has tried giving Lily a bottle- no luck!
- Different positions? You betcha! Sister knows it’s still a bottle…
What we haven’t tried:
- Putting a shirt between Lily and the person feeding her a bottle- a friend JUST suggested that!
- Formula- maybe she would take a bottle if it tasted different than my breastmilk?!
- [some white space, because I’ve got nothing else left!]
In the grand scheme of things having a baby who doesn’t take a bottle is NOT a big deal. I just told Ted I feel like I can’t escape our kids even if I tried. And you know as a parent of small children you NEED to escape every now and then. I’ve talked with friends who have had babies that refused bottles as well and you know what? They survived. And at 6 months of age their babies took breastmilk from sippy cups. That gives me hope that I’ll be able to get outta dodge fairly soon… but then again, I don’t want my baby growing up too fast. SEE HOW MOTHERHOOD MESSES WITH YOUR MIND??!
So tell me: Is there something else I can do to encourage Lily to take a bottle? If your baby wouldn’t take a bottle, did they end up taking a sippy cup with breastmilk?
Sorry Lil, I’m not giving up just yet!