Oddly enough I get inspired to write some of my mom-focused blog posts when the boys are NOT napping and little sis is sound asleep. Knocking on wood she’s stays asleep as I type this…. But lately days around here have been challenging. I’m pretty sure my 3-year-old is peaking as a threenager, my two-year-old won’t stop asking where Mommy is even when I’m standing right in front of him, and my sweet 6-month-old Lily girl is sick and not eating well. Mix it all together and you have a Mom that’s running on fumes, short-tempered, and a little emotional.
However, as I sit here listening to the boys talk about Rocco and Cosmo [Nana and Grandpa’s dogs] instead of napping, I’m reminded there’s SO much that happens during our day that brings me smiles, the feels, and memories I never want to forget. So with that, I’ve been keeping a basic Word document with all the “stuff” of daily living with my trio that I think are worth noting and never forgetting about. I have no idea what my plan is to do with these things, but a blog post seemed like a good first step.
PS. Care to know what I WANT TO FORGET? The fact that more food seems to hit my dining room and kitchen floor vs. my toddlers’ mouths. Yep. I really hope I forget about THAT someday!
Things I hope I never forget about Lily at 6 months old:
- Her smile lights up a room, especially when big brother Anthony comes to play with her [which is him sitting on her back].
- She’s trying to figure out how to crawl, and doing a mean forearm plank in the process.
- She hates a bottle or anything that resembles a bottle when it comes near her mouth. All she wants is her Momma!
- She’s determined to take all of her brother’s trains, dinosaurs, and books when they are in reach!
- She knows when there’s a party going [really] on and will refuse to go to bed until her brother’s are asleep!
Things I hope I never forget about Anthony at 2 years old:
- The dang sheepy is always by his side or in his mouth. And if he’s missing it well then you’re going to hear about it until he finds it!
- Give him a tub of Sabra hummus and a spoon and he’s one happy camper!
- Instead of reading a book to on Mom’s lap, he likes me to sit on the ground next to him while he flips pages of the book. “I DO IT!” is his favorite saying right now.
- This kid hated sleep his first year of life and is now sleeping like a champ!
Things I hope I never forget about Joey at 3 years old:
- How proud he is to go to the bathroom by himself.
- His love for the Lion King soundtrack and Christmas music. His dance parties with Anthony and their glow sticks to these songs is priceless!
- “It’s going to be ok Mommy.” I’m not sure where this came from. But he’s been saying that to me lately when I’m about to raise my voice.
- His love for swimming and karate. My shy guy has found his confidence from participating in these activities!
And just like that, the boys are asleep and Lily is awake. And I’ve taken a few moments of alone time to remember the good, small stuff. My hope is that this post provides a little comic relief, and that you too are able to find joy in the sometimes never-ending, longest day of the YEAR type of days with your kids.
What’s one thing YOUR child is doing right now you want to bottle up and never forget?!
How do you save memories? Family album? Word document? Journal?