Feeding toddlers is one tough job… but somebody’s gotta do it! Here are some truths to keep your sanity [and sense of humor] when it comes to feeding your little one.
I don’t think there’s really any way to prepare yourself for life with a toddler. From tantrums, to unexpected love-hugs, to personality growth and changes, I often feel like I’m living with my teenager self all over again. One truth about living the toddler-life is how challenging feeding toddlers can be. And this is coming from a registered dietitian Mom who wants nothing more than her boys to LOVE and enjoy healthy foods. So I’m keeping it real, true toddler-style, and sharing some common truths about feeding toddlers. Get your mop and floor cleaner ready!
1. They’re honest. Brutally honest. You know that politically correct smile your true love gave you when you first made he or she a meal they disliked, but they were too kind not to hurt your feelings and say how they really felt? Well toddlers don’t know what PC means and haven’t quite gotten the memo on that polite interaction just yet.
2. They flip-flop on likes and dislikes. Joey goes for weeks without eating blueberries and then one day he’ll pop a few like I’ve been depriving him his whole two years of life. And just when I think he’s about ready to spit out the chicken or beef I make for dinner, he’ll act like the grill-master of the family. Moral of the story? Don’t expect anything. Just keep doing your job of serving nutritious meals.
3. They’re unique— meaning they typically have strange food preferences. I’ve seen grilled cheese dipped in everything from yogurt to applesauce and clementine’s dipped in BBQ sauce and marinara. While the sight sometimes makes me nauseous, as long as my guys are actually eating their meal I’m happy!
4. They’re messy. No bib or floor mat or hungry dog can prepare you for the mess that comes with feeding a toddler. You might find yourself giving a bath more than once a day. Take a deep breath and embrace the reality of feeding a toddler!
5. They’re loyal. When toddlers love a food, they LOVE it unconditionally. For my boys it’s BBQ sauce and marinara sauce. All is right in the world when they see either one on their plates or dinner table. Warning: if you are a guest for dinner at my house, don’t be surprised I advise you to skip the BBQ sauce. A few too many double dips have taken place with that bottle!
6. They’re creative. You better believe my little angels become Picasso’s as soon as they realize they can paint with their food. On their chair, the dining room table, heck on one another’s face! As long as there is SOME food hitting their mouths, I’m ok with the mess and want them to enjoy mealtime… for now.
7. They’re smart. You better believe both boys know where the cereal cupboard is. And that Mom will usually let them have a snack of cereal before bed… even though at dinner she proclaims, “that’s it no snack after dinner!” I’m the she. And yes I’ve said that. But they keep asking for snacks… even when I switch the cereal location! Perhaps I should change this truth to “they’re stubborn or persistent.”
One thing is for sure when it comes to feeding a toddler: they keep you on your toes. So tell me, what’s one thing you’ve learned about cooking for and cleaning up after a toddler?!7 Truths About Feeding #toddlers! Click To Tweet