If you love leftovers then these Grilled Steak and Veggie Bowls are for you! Prep the ingredients ahead of time and reheat for another easy weeknight meal.
I’m married to a non-leftover lover which to this day [7 years into our relationship together] still seems a bit strange to me. I come from a family where my Dad lives off of leftovers for his workday lunch and I would often rely on leftovers for my lunch when I worked outside of the home pre kids. Regardless, Ted had no idea [until now] that these steak and roasted veggies bowls included all. the. leftovers. I may have just converted him to dark side— without him even knowing it!
I made my life MUCH easier by using some leftover steak we had from the weekend + a batch of roasted veggies I had prepped as part of my weekly produce prep. The mushrooms weren’t roasted, but instead I sautéed the mushrooms while veggies were roasting. Reheated in a skillet and voila, dinner in under 10 minutes! But if you don’t have time for the weekend prep, no worries. The whole meal from start to finish shouldn’t take more than 30-35 minutes. I just have zero patience to cook with small children these days, so I tend to do most of my cooking on the weekend when Dad is around to entertain the masses.
Now I used beef tenderloin for this recipe, but feel free to use whatever cut of beef you prefer. Whenever I find beef tenderloin on sale I always stock up. We enjoy it simply grilled for a special date-night in, or I stretch the tenderloin steaks into a few meals and repurpose them into recipes such as this. The best part? The boys love beef. Especially Mom’s favorite cut. I think it must have been all those months they spent in-utero when I couldn’t have enough cheeseburgers or steak salads. Or just the fact that a good cut of beef when cooked well is really, really good. Especially when paired alongside an array of roasted vegetables.
When you read the instructions you might this recipe to be a little confusing… or the timing of it all confusing. That’s why I like making it ahead of time. If it doesn’t make sense, my apologies, I need more coffee! Just keep in mind while the veggies are roasting you can grill the steaks and cook the mushrooms. Or forget the mushrooms all together! Calling all beef lovers— this one’s for you!
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks [about 6 ounces each]
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste [for steaks and veggies]
- 4-5 cups root vegetables, cut into similar sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat. Season steaks with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Grill steaks 10 to 13 minutes, turning occasionally. Set aside before slicing for 8-10 minutes.
- For the roasted veggies, preheat oven to 450. Arrange on baking sheet and then drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops of the veggies start to brown.
- While the veggies are roasting, heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon olive oil, mushrooms, and onions. Stir frequently, until mushrooms and onions begin to brown. Add balsamic vinegar and sugar, and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To assemble the bowls, fill the bottom of a bowl with 1-2 cups of the assorted veggies and arrange steak pieces on top.