Beat the winter blues or fight off a winter cold with this simple recipe for roasted garlic chicken noodle soup.
It’s winter in Michigan. AKA the season for colds. And baby, it’s cold outside AND inside— the whole family, even the cute, cuddly 6-week old, are fighting off colds. Because chicken noodle soup is good for the soul it’s also good for the common cold in my book! I’ve jazzed-up my standard recipe with an extra cold-fighting, immune boosting ingredient [garlic] to create this tasty roasted garlic chicken noodle soup. One baby is reaping the benefits through breastmilk, and the other baby is slurping noodles that have been cooked in garlic broth. Seems medicinal enough right?
If you’re feeling under the weather or have a family member or friend that is, this roasted garlic chicken noodle soup is for you! It’s easy to make and tastes gourmet because of the secret ingredient: roasted garlic. I also add extra cold-fighting zing with lemon zest at the end. This cold ain’t got nothin’ on me!
- 1 head of garlic
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon of poultry seasoning
- ½ cup of onion, diced
- ½ cup of carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- ½ cup of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 8 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of orecchiette pasta [or other small pasta of your choice]
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Trim the top off the garlic. Drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While the garlic roasts, place chicken breasts in an oven safe dish. Spread poultry seasoning evenly over each piece. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes [at the same time as the garlic]. Shred with a fork once cooked through.
- Once the garlic and chicken are roasted, place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sautee for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the roasted garlic and continue sautéing for another 5 minutes.
- Next add the broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked, reduce temperature to low. Add chicken and lemon zest to the pot. Serve immediately [once chicken is reheated through].
The directions seem like a novel from first glance, but really this roasted garlic chicken noodle soup is SO simple to make. And trust me that your garlic breath will fight-off any cold…