Ditch the store-bought can of sauce for these quick and easy Homemade Sloppy Joes, packed with veggies and full of flavor!
I often wonder if I cook too much kid-food in my house [prompted by the third time last week I had cooked grilled cheese] but the reality is I’m in the kid-food stage of life. And many meals and recipes that have been titled as kid-friendly or are often seen on the kids menu can be doctored up for adults too! I guess that’s how I’m justifying making my own version of homemade Sloppy Joes. Not only does it taste like the kid-friendly, canned sauce favorite [I grew up on it folks], it’s a simple, veggie-packed sandwich adults can fall in love with too!
I honestly have never purchased Manwich [or store-bought Sloppy Joe sauce]. But I’ve seen it in my Mom’s pantry and KNOW I’ve tasted it about 20 times throughout my childhood. But because I figured there’s some tomato-sweetness to a standard homemade Sloppy Joe sauce, I played around with my own version with pantry staples I know many of us have on hand! I also added some extra veg since I’m always trying to get the men in my life to eat one or two more veggies a day.
The verdict? Ted gave me permission to make the meal again. “Yeah, we can have this again for dinner.” Sometimes I don’t think they [aka husband’s] realize what or how they say things. Lucky for him it makes me giggle and not throw a pan of homemade Sloppy Joes across the table! Anthony ate 4 servings of the Ground Beef mixture. And Joey dipped 3 rolls into the Sloppy Joe sauce. Baby girl? I’m pleading the 5th and not admitting how much I ate…. Needless to say this is a new healthy, family favorite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef [93% lean Ground Beef or leaner]
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil, carrots and onion. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add Ground Beef and break into crumbles. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to skillet and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with whole wheat hamburger buns or sub buns.
Skip the store bought sauce and make your own with these kid-friendly homemade sloppy joes! Click To Tweet
If you’re a fan of simple skillet dinners like I am, then be sure to check out more of my family’s favorite skillet meals that can be made in about 30 minutes or less!